This was one of our favorite days! Look at the pictures and you will see why.
- Woke up REALLY early – we had a BIG day of driving today with a few stops
- Packed van
- Left about 8:15 and drove to Doxa Church to pick up bag we forgot – took forever in traffic
- After we finally arrived at the church when they said the office was open, nobody was around and the church was locked – just as we were about to leave, someone showed up, thankfully!
- Dad filled up tires with air and we hit the road – finally leaving Seattle about 9:30
- Headed south – stopped at Walmart for supplies
- Ate PB&J in the car for lunch (snack?)
- Arrived at Astoria and navigated to the Goonie House (Goonies is a childhood favorite of Dad and the other (older) Chilcote kids)
- Dad and EL got out and took pictures of the Goonie house signs because the owners no longer allow visitors put he private drive
- Got back in the car and drove with the windows down to hear the seals barking near the water
- Stopped for gas and found out that all gas stations in Oregon (according to the attendant) are full-service. Would really prefer to pump my own gas.
- Hit the road again and headed to Ecola State Park where we saw the bluffs, Haystack Rock (and another shooting location for the Goonies)
- Then drove to the beach and spent about an hour on the beach (This was one of the top highlights of our entire trip! It was awesome! We loved it!)
- After the beach, the kids were a mess and some had to change clothes in the parking lot
- CJ wiped out on a sidewalk while chasing EC
- Got loaded back up and drove a long time more – seeing awesome views along the Oregon coast on route 101 – also saw many bikers and hitchhikers
- Stopped for dinner at Taco Bell / McDonalds as the sun was starting to go down
Drove more. And more and longer – down the winding, 2-lane 101 in the dark and finally arrived in Bandon, Oregon around 10:30. It was a pretty nice Best Western.